5.06.2010

The Danish Museum of Art and Design in Copenhagen

Because of my homeless situation, it has been a while since I last posted anything. I'd like to get better at making a few posts, when I have the time and possibility, so that I can publish on a more regular basis.

Recently we visited The Danish Museum of Art and Design in Copenhagen with my school, where we among other things looked at these fantastic embroidery pieces.

This one is especially great.
It's all embroidery. It can be hard to see unless you're very close and it's simply one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. To shape the muscles of the animals and create a relief they used cork or wook and then embroidered over that.
It's like a little cupboard with doors and drawers from China.

 This one is also made with small pieces of wood under the silver thread to make a relief. It almost looks llike it's actually pieces of silver on it. I'd love to something like that for a belt.

This is embroidery and application on tulle made in the end of the 1800s.
Notice the animals. It's such a cute idea for a collar.

Next are a couple of pieces of newer embroidery. I love the dandelion.

It's easy to forget how much inspiration you can draw from older designs and techniques. I really think these pieces prove how many ways you can use historic items creating new ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment